Podcasts and audiobooks are definitely something which I couldn’t live without. I am a fantasy lover through and through but I prefer these stories to be physical reads. When it comes to podcasts though, I am in a whole other genre. I’m an avid true crime listener – I listen to them almost daily. I’ve been recommending a lot of different podcast and audiobooks to friends and family lately so I thought I ought to do a little roundup of my top 10 of the best Audiobooks and Podcasts for beginners and first time listeners.
- Harry Potter series is hands down one of the best audiobooks on the market. The narration is top notch and for this millennial, the nostalgia just hits right.
- The Fifth Season by N.K Jemisin. This one is on my tbr but I cannot stop hearing about it. Half of Fame narrator Robin Miles has the perfect energy for any audiobook so already this is set to be a good listen!
- I love a classic romance so Jayne Eyre narrated by Thandiwe Newton is sublime.
- Book Lovers by Emily Henry. Enemies-to-lovers trope with a literary setting.
- The Skeleton Key by Erin Kelly. This story is laced in mystery and family secrets.
- Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. Starring the author himself and none other than the sensation that is Marian Keyes, the Thursday Murder Club is sure to not only charm you, but make you question everything.
We listen to a lot of true crime in our house and I could write a whole post on those but I have tried to keep these pretty general because not everyone wants to listen to ‘stabby stabby’ stories.
I have followed both Alex Light & Em Clarkson on my personal instagram for quite some time and I just love the fact they both charge head first at any polarising topic. They aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo and ask some difficult questions. This podcast is no different. Should I delete that? is a podcast which dives into these areas, tackling some home truths but also having a good laugh too.
If you haven’t already heard about My Dad Wrote a Porno then where have you been? This is certainly not for any prudish listeners so I would steer clear if anything sex related makes you a tad uncomfortable! For those who don’t mind chatting about what’s underneath your clothes, then this podcast is sure to keep you entertained. Hosted by James Cooper, Alice Levine and Jamie Morton, this show will have you belly laughing and then questioning why Jamie’s Dad has managed to get through life knowing so little about biology…
From folklore to pop-culture, Witch explores how the legacy of Witches has firmly held its place in our imaginations for centuries. As a fantasy lover, I adored this podcast and have recommended it to so many friends and family members.
It’s an oldie but it’s a goodie! MFM is a true crime podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. It is an absolute go-to for any true crime lovers (the early ones are the best!). Karen & Georgia have made this heavy topic into something that is easy to listen to but also hilarious! Top of my list of recommendations.
Are there any in this list you recognise or think should be added?
As always, happy reading!